Pages

Popular Posts!! (You know the ones that get 5 views instead of 2)

Monday, October 1, 2012

My Summer Movie Guide (Based on trailers synopsis's and casting/direction, not actual viewing))

I've seen two movies as of late:

Total Recall  
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted  

Now as a young adult/teenager whatever you want to call it I can tell you now that if you're in a situation and you've got to choose between either one, pick Madagascar. Its the way to go, especially if you, like me, can't get enough of those ridiculously outspoken lemurs. I want my very own King Julien, he is essentially the heart and soul of the film. No one goes into the cinema planning on viewing the moral dilemmas like lying to people who trust you and dealing with long-term friendships of Lions and Zebras, they want to see animals doing physically impossible and illegal things whilst being incredibly witty. Thats what Madagascar delivers once again and is certainly not a waste your money if you're looking for some light-hearted entertainment. 

Moving on. I've been stalking IMDB for viewing ideas since all my favourite TV shows are over and I'm three quarters through school before it gets serious. (Which is next year so hold onto your seats for some lengthy procrastination posts) 

My search has led me to a number of movies I will list below, every single one of them hasn't been released over here in Australia in the cinemas (or overseas in some cases) but I did manage to view 17 Filles, which I did enjoy and as a french student kind of helped me? I don't know but I did like it because often the american take on teen pregnancy just seems unrealistic, or the acting seems that way. All the actresses in 17 Filles were wonderful and you know, LOOKED THEIR AGE. Plus they didn't have those annoying whiny voices. 
Refreshing. 

Onto the list:

Les Misérables


I honestly can't wait for this. I will see it in the cinemas (that's a high commendation from the penniless-pirating-generation, but tsk, what am I saying, I plan on seeing all of this list in cinema, its just a matter of money and availability) I have only just recently watched the little snippet of the actors describing how different the process was for acting this musical (with the live singing allowing them a lot of room to move) its very appealing. 
It seems awesome but I really don't know much about it. I haven't read the book, I've got a basic idea of the plot and thats it. I sort of want it to be a surprise the movie. Letting my brain process things as they come like its supposed to. I don't get it when people research before they watch, it ruins the experience. Watching the trailer didn't wreck anything for me. All I gathered was that "Hey Anne Hathway can sing, what a nice surprise" so I don't have much to say about this but IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD, and I am a sucker for musicals, I can't sing but music is such a powerful medium and musicals just take that advantage to a new height. I will be watching. 

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower 


Now I know it's apparently sacrilegious to booklovers or something but I haven't read this novel. And I KNOW, I know its amazing and I'd probably finish it in a day but please. My TBR list is literally 50 books long, and I still need to find the other half of Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why because I only downloaded half the audio-book. 

I'm sorry. But I do so adore this trailer and book adaptions are good. Plus I'm not ignorant, I know that even though the trailer's really fun this is a seriously-challenging-drama, and thats how I suspect going from 'funny movie' to 'seriously good movie' because mixing bits of comedy into a drama always makes the characters more loveable. Not to mention the fact that this film is littered with buckets of talented, respected and experienced 'young actors' I say that because they're all about early twenties. 
So basing my need-to-see upon book people hype (respected AND reliable in my opinion) and the lovely looking trailer (I really hope they can keep up the fabulous soundtrack) 

Pitch Perfect 


Pitch Perfect just seems hilarious. From my first look at the trailer I was showing it around saying "Hey, Holidays; lets see this" Its sort of the perfect movie just to go out and have fun with. Another musical (of sorts) described as a college aged 'Glee' however I'm inclined to believe the humor in this one is less unique than that of the tv show. 

On the subject of humor, Adam DeVine and Rebel Wilson look like they're leading the movie. Their characters are wonderful, I mean who cares if they're only there fro entertainment value, its who I really want to see. We have that main-character girl there for plot. I rarely end up caring about to emotional growth of these characters and more about the hilarity that goes on around them, hilarity sure to be provided by the large supporting cast. Even Brittany Snow's sweetie-with-an-agenda-character is so full on (intentionally) that she's funny. Either way its another for my list of 'Got-to-watch'

Moonrise Kingdom 


This movie looks so utterly gorgeous. I think that its like everything any lovely photographer tried to capture and put into instagram, but much more meaningful. I just adore the scripting and how so much of this seems like it was purposely developed from a child's perspective. 
Apparently the soundtrack is to die for, and if the trailer is anything to go by then I agree with this statement! 
I really want to see this because it looks like such a story-movie, lighthearted and wonderful. It kind of reminds me of all the sweet-advernture novels I read as a tiny-kid. Like the faraway tree or the wishing chair. 

Artistically the movie looks fantastic, etc. I just can't wait. (Well actually it is in the cinema's right now, but I don't have the cash to spare at the moment, I've got textiles school needs to fulfil which just involve buying a lot of fabric)



Red Dawn 


My main draw to watch Red Dawn (which is a bit of a standout in this list as its the only 'big-action-blockbuster') is because I am a HUGE FAN of John Marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began series. Of which there are 7 books, I've read all of them plus the 3 books in the spin off series. They were written and published in the nineties I think so some of the writing was a bit dated when I read it (which was AFTER the movie came out, but I hadn't seen the movie) some things like 'electronic mail' I did laugh at. But it was good and amazing. 

In 2009, many years after the entire series was finished and re-printed Tomorrow When The War Began was released as a movie and as a huge fan of the books I loved it. Told from country-girl Ellie's POV and set right here at home in Australia.  So as I was such a fan of this I did eventually come into the knowledge that the Americans had their own version or similar-thing. But I was rather reluctant to watch it as it was made in the 80's and to be honest the experience would have probably be ruined for me just because A) I don't come from the 80's, it was before my time and B) The filming technique, camera quality and special effects quality just won't be the same. (Before my time meaning I can't relate, I don't get the pop-culture references or anything like that) 

But lo and behold in the era everyone's fond of a good old re-imaging and/or recycling plots and characters for unnecessary prequel stories (I'm looking at you: Total Re-call, The Hobbit,  The Bourne Legacy, Twilight's still going - the franchises, so many franchises. Its like you can't make a 'meant-to-be-a-stand-alone' movie that becomes successful without people deciding to cash in and make a second-rate sequel)  

Anyway back to Red-dawn. I'm excited, you could be excited for all I know. What I do know is that these are good actors, the movie looks super glossy and will probably be a great source of entertainment and even greater meaning for those who can get past the explosions. My only qualm is that they actually said who was invading, I mean isn't that politically incorrect or something? In T.W.T.W.B the director deliberately kept the soldiers non-decript and said we were invaded by a 'co-alition' Perhaps more annoying are the people who get into arguments about: "But North Korea would never be able to invade USA, this movie's stupid" are extremely annoying. Since this film is fiction then anything goes, USA hasn't been invaded as of late, does that make the entire movie impossible? Yes. But what's the bother, if we could only make movies about whats possible then the world would be a sad, limited place. Like I said: EXCITED. 

Fun Size   


Another: "I want entertainment so why the hell not" Fun size, as the title suggests, looks fun. Just a good movie but the thing that got me was the trailer. The main character played by Victoria Justice didn't seem overly annoying or fake, but on the contrary to many teen-movie-characters, entirely relatable. Much so due to the wonderful acting. I think they've got together a good group for this. 

I like the twist of the little brother and the service station man. With the comedy lying in wait and a low-stakes plot I could say that if this movie turns out I may even watch it twice. Who knows. (Have I written that before, I feel like I have. Damn I hope this repetative-ness isn't wrecking things for your reading) 





So I'll leave while saying that if we have movie-taste in common it would pay to re-visit this blog to see what I thought of all the movies here and maybe if you're bored check out 17 Filles, just get your subtitles on if you don't do french. Fabulous soundtrack. That or Glory at Sea (which is a short film, can be youtubed)  AND BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. I've been off at that film for a while now and its only just come out in some 'alternative cinemas' around and about. 
This is my summer movie guide, alongside whatever else my friends cajole me into watching. Whatever I watch it'll hopefully end in awesomeness. 







No comments:

Post a Comment